Have you updated your Samsung Galaxy S4 AT&T variant with latest Android 4.4.2 Kitkat official firmware ? If you have done it, now you can root the phone and install custom ROM’s, install root apps and do many more with the root access. This article is a simple guide to root Samsung Galaxy S4 AT&T on Android 4.4.2 Kitkat official firmware. Before you continue with the tutorial, you should know What does rooting mean? Rooting is nothing but gaining the access to root of the operating software which lets you install custom ROM’s, custom themes and modify the phone’s OS in any possible way.
Initially the manufacturer of the phone will not give permissions to access root. You cannot install all these custom ROM’s or any other custom firmware. So, if you desire to use your phone to its full capacity, you should root it i.e., you should gain the access to root. Rooting has many pros, have many cons though. Rooting voids the manufacturers warranty for the device. Further, it may possibly brick the operating system which makes the device function improperly and in some case it may become useless. So, if it is your own decision to Samsung Galaxy S4 AT&T, go through the prerequisites listed below to safeguard your personal data and operating software.
Check Model And Firmware
Check your phone’s model number which should be Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-I337(AT&T variant). You can check it by heading over to Settings>>About Device. The device should be running on official Android 4.4.2 Kitkat firmware. The firmware version can be checked by heading over to Settings>>About Device>>Firmware Version.
Samsung USB Drivers
To root Samsung Galaxy S4 AT&T, it is to be connected to a PC. For the PC to detect your phone, you should install Samsung USB drivers. If you have already installed them, ignore this message. Else, go through the below link to download Samsung USB Drivers.
Backup Important Data
We know, it is mandatory to backup important data on phone before we root/install ROMs. If anything goes wrong while rooting, it wipes the entire data. So, backup is recommended while updating an Android phone. If you are not sure about what to backup and how to backup? take a look below:
- Backup Apps, Wanna know how? Check this >> How To Backup Android Apps ?
- Backup SMS Messages, Wanna know how? Make use of SMS Backup & Restore App
- Backup Contacts, Mail data, Google Data, Wanna know how?, Just sync them with Google Sync.
- Backup Call Logs, Wanna know how? Make use of Call Logs Backup & Restore Android App
- Backup phone settings like Access Points, GPRS Settings, Connectivity Settings. Wanna know how? Note them on a paper or something.
Few More Prerequisites
- You have already installed USB drivuers on your computer. Even though if your phone fails to detect the PC, make sure that whether you have enabled USB debugging on yor Android phone. The path to enable it varies for different versions of Android operating systems like Jelly Bean, Ice Cream Sandwich, Gingerbread.
- Double check your device model before you get started with the installation. If you install non compatible ROM on your phone, it may brick the operating system. So, make sure that your phone model matches with the model we mention in the article.
- Make sure the phone’s battery is at least 75% full to ensure that it should not run out of battery while installing the ROM.
- Download all the required files listed in the downloads section and keep them in a folder to be handy for you.
If you have completed all the above steps, you can now continue with installation process which is a bit typical. Make sure that complete every step in an orderly manner.
Guide To Root Samsung Galaxy S4 AT&T On Android 4.4.2 Kitkat Official Firmware
Step 1: Download the Towelroot apk(tr.apk) file, Superuser file from the downloads section to your PC.
Step 2: Connect the Galaxy S4 to the PC and transfer the downloaded files into the phone.
Step 3: Now disconnect the phone from the PC. Click on the apk file you have copied previously.
Step 4: The phone displays a message that installation from unknown sources is blocked. So click on Settings>>Check Unknown Sources. Click OK when prompted.
Step 5: In the Towelroot app installation interface, click on install and the phone displays warning that ‘Google recommends not to install this app‘ ignore the message and click on install anyway.
Step 6: Once the installation completes the app displays the success message on the screen. Now click Open button in the bottom screen.
Step 7: The app launches with a auto root button called make it ra1n, click on that button.
Step 8: Now the phone reboots automatically in 20 seconds. If it doesn’t happen, try tapping the same button again.
Step 9: Once the phone reboots successfully, the rooting process will be successful. Now click on previously copied Superuser.apk file.
Step 10: Follow the same process above for installing Superuser.apk file on Galaxy S4.
Step 11: Once the installation completes, open the app and grant the permission for the Superuser Request.
That’s all! You have now rooted Samsung Galaxy S4 AT&T on Android 4.4.2 Kitkat version. Now you can install root apps and custom ROM’s on Galaxy S4. To check whether your device is rooted or not, install the Root Checker app from Google Play Store.
If you face any issues while you root Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-I337, feel free to mention your words in the comments section. We will be glad to help you.