So far Samsung has shown its rapid action in spreading its new Android 4.4.4 Kitkat update to its major handsets. But the Sprint Samsung Galaxy S5 users are left with confusion. Samsung neither announced the release date nor pushed out the update. Even the Sprint is not sure when the update would roll out.
If you are a Sprint Galaxy S5 G900p user extremely concerned about the update, try using the unofficial Kitkat firmware. Yes, Android 4.4.4 Kitkat is now unofficially available for the Sprint Galaxy S5. An Anonymous Donor has leaked the pre-release version of the Android 4.4.4 Kitkat firmware and it is available online at XDA Forums. Even the firmware is not an official release it is stable enough to be used by a common Galaxy S5 user.
If you are interested in installing Android 4.4.4 Kitkat on Galaxy S5, it would be a good idea of backing up the entire data. As the process includes flashing the new firmware, we suggest you to follow the following instructions to safeguard your personal data and phone’s operating system.
Check Phone Model
Check your phone’s model which should be Samsung Galaxy S5 G900P(Sprint Variant). You can check it by heading over to Settings>>About Device. Do not attempt this tutorial on any other variant.
Samsung USB Drivers
The phone is to be connected with a PC to transfer the firmware package. For the PC to detect your phone, you should install Samsung USB drivers. If you have already installed them, ignore this message. Else, go through the below link to download Samsung USB Drivers.
Backup Important Data
It is great thing that you are done with installation of USB drivers. We know, it is mandatory to make a backup of important data on phone before we root/install ROMs. It may be an official or unofficial update, if anything goes wrong during installation, it wipes the entire data. So, backup is recommended while updating an Android phone. If you are not sure about what to backup and how to backup? take a look below:
- Backup Apps, Wanna know how? Check this >> How To Backup Android Apps ?
- Backup SMS Messages, Wanna know how? Make use of SMS Backup & Restore App
- Backup Contacts, Mail data, Google Data, Wanna know how?, Just sync them with Google Sync.
- Backup Call Logs, Wanna know how? Make use of Call Logs Backup & Restore Android App
- Backupphone settings like Access Points, GPRS Settings, Connectivity Settings. Wanna know how? Note them on a paper or something.
Things To Remember:
Disclaimer: The Custom ROM’s, Firmware, Software, Applications, Mods and any other tools shared/mentioned in this article belongs to their respective developers. Neither our team nor the developers are responsible to any losses that occur to your device while installation. So, you are suggested to continue with the tutorial at your own risk. Think before you act.
Warning: Make sure that you double check the model name/number we mention in the article. Attempting to install the firmware on any other model may brick the OS.Rooting Warning: Rooting voids the manufacturer’s warranty for the device. It may possibly brick the operating software of the device. So, make sure that you continue to the tutorial with your own decision.
Few More Prerequisites
- You have already installed USB drivers on your computer. Even though if your phone fails to detect the PC, make sure that whether you have enabled USB debugging on your Android phone. The path to enable it varies for different versions of Android operating systems like Jelly Bean, Ice Cream Sandwich, Gingerbread.
- Double check your device model before you get started with the installation. If you install non compatible ROM on your phone, it may brick the operating system. So, make sure that your phone model matches with the model we mention in the article. If your phone’s bootloader is locked, you cannot Root/install Custom ROM’s. So, unlock the bootloader before performing tutorial. Do not attempt this tutorial if the device is locked.
- Make sure the phone’s battery is at least 75% full to ensure that it should not run out of battery while installing/flashing firmware.
- Download all the required files listed in the downloads section and keep them in a folder to be handy for you.
If you have completed all the above steps, you can now continue with installation process which is a bit typical. Make sure that complete every step in an orderly manner.