You can now Update Nexus 10 With OSE Android 4.4.2 Kitkat Custom Firmware by following the simple tutorial below. It is not an official update but a custom ROM which is worth upgrading. To flash custom ROM’s on any Android device, you require a custom recovery installed on it. If you are interested in updating your Nexus 7 to Android 4.4.2 Kitkat, go through the detailed tutorial provided below.
To install Custom ROM’s we require a custom recovery like ClockWorkMod which can be installed only if the device is rooted. So, root your device before getting into the installation tutorial. You must remember that rooting voids the warranty of the device. If you are done with rooting, go through the prerequisites listed below.
Samsung USB Drivers
To install Custom ROM’s on your device, it is to be connected with a Computer. For the PC to detect your phone, you should install Samsung USB drivers. If you have already installed them, ignore this message. Else, go through the below link to download Samsung USB Drivers.
Backup Important Data
It is an interesting that you are done with installation of USB drivers. It is mandatory that before you root/install custom ROM’s on an Android device, backuping important data is to be considered. It may be an official or unofficial update, if anything goes wrong while installation, it wipes the entire data. So, backup is recommended while updating an Android phone. If you are not sure about what to backup and how to backup? take a look below:
- Backup Apps, Wanna know how? Check this >> How To Backup Android Apps ?
- Backup SMS Messages, Wanna know how? Make use of SMS Backup & Restore App
- Backup Contacts, Mail data, Google Data, Wanna know how?, Just sync them with Google Sync.
- Backup Call Logs, Wanna know how? Make use of Call Logs Backup & Restore Android App
- Backup phone settings like Access Points, GPRS Settings, Connectivity Settings. Wanna know how? Note them on a paper or something.
Few More Prerequisites
- You have already installed USB drivers on your computer. Even though if your phone fails to detect the PC, make sure that whether you have enabled USB debugging on your Android phone. The path to enable it varies for different versions of Android operating systems like Jelly Bean, Ice Cream Sandwich, Gingerbread.
- Double check your device model before you get started with the installation. If you install non compatible ROM on your phone, it may brick the operating system. So, make sure that your phone model matches with the model we mention in the article.
- Make sure the phone’s battery is at least 75% full to ensure that it should not run out of battery while installing the ROM.
- Download all the required files listed in the downloads section and keep them in a folder to be handy for you.
If you have completed all the above steps, you can now continue with installation process which is a bit typical. Make sure that complete every step in an orderly manner.
Things To Remember
Disclaimer: The Custom ROM’s, Firmware, Software, Applications, Mods and any other tools shared/mentioned in this article belongs to their respective developers. Neither our team nor the developers are responsible to any losses that occur to your device while installation. So, you are suggested to continue with the tutorial at your own risk. Think before act.
Warning: Make sure that you double check the model name/number we mention in the article. Attempting to install the firmware on any other model may brick the OS.
How To Update Nexus 10 With OSE Android 4.4.2 Kitkat Custom Firmware?
Step 1: Download the OSE Android 4.4.2 Package from the downloads section to your PC.
Step 2: Download Google Apps for Nexus 10 to your PC and place it in a handy folder.
Step 3: Connect Nexus 10 to the PC using USB and copy both the downloaded files into the SD card. Make sure that you copy the files into the root of SD card.
Step 4: Now power off the Nexus 10 and disconnect it from USB cable.
Step 5: Now get into the recovery mode by following the process below
Power on the device while pressing and holding Home+Power+Volume Up Buttons together.
Step 6: Once the phone enters the Recovery mode, you can find a list of installation and data wipe options. Among them choose wipe data/factory reset. You should use power button to choose and volume buttons to navigate in recovery mode.
Step 7: Perform a complete cache wipe on your Nexus 10 by choosing wipe cache partition.
Step 8: Its time to enter the advanced options of ClockWorkMod recovery. Select the advanced options and choose wipe dalvik cache.
Step 9: Once you complete all the above steps successfully, you can continue with the installation. Choose +++++Go Back+++++ and choose install zip from SD card
Step 10: Now select choose zip from SD card and using volume buttons for navigation and power button to select, choose the Android 4.4.2 installation package from SD card.
Step 11: Conform the installation on the next screen which starts flashing the ROM on your device.
Step 12: Follow the same process for installation of Google Apps.
Step 13: Once the installation completes, select +++++Go Back+++++ and reboot the device by selecting “reboot system now” from the recovery menu.
The device takes few minutes for the first time reboot. Once the welcome screen appears, it says the installation is successful.
To check whether the Android firmware is updated, go to Settings>>About Phone, there you can find the firmware version as Kitkat 4.4.2.
If you face any problems during installation, feel free to drop your words in the comments section. We will be glad to help you.