Android Kitkat 4.4.2 is now available for T-mobile Samsung Galaxy S2 T989. The Carbon ROM based on Android Open Source Project has bought Android Kitkat For Galaxy S2. The Carbon ROM’s are well known for their faster, smooth and features filled nature. Moreover, the Carbon ROM developers claim that the settings and framework of this firmware are inherited from CyanogenMod. So, we can prefer this Kitkat ROM for Galaxy S2 even though it is not an official update by Samsung.
If you are ready to update your T-mobile Samsung Galaxy S2 T989 to Android 4.4.2 Kitkat, go through the list of prerequisites to safeguard your personal data and phone’s operating system. In the continuation of the post, we will teach you with the process of installation of the Carbon ROM on T-mobile Galaxy S2.
Check Phone Model
Check your phone’s model which should be Samsung Galaxy S2 T989. You can check it by heading over to Settings>>About Device. Do not attempt this tutorial on any other variant.
Samsung USB Drivers
The phone is to be connected with a PC to transfer the firmware package. For the PC to detect your phone, you should install Samsung USB drivers. If you have already installed them, ignore this message. Else, go through the below link to download Samsung USB Drivers.
Backup Important Data
It is great thing that you are done with installation of USB drivers. We know, it is mandatory to make a backup of important data on phone before we root/install ROMs. It may be an official or unofficial update, if anything goes wrong during installation, it wipes the entire data. So, backup is recommended while updating an Android phone. If you are not sure about what to backup and how to backup? take a look below:
- Backup Apps, Wanna know how? Check this >> How To Backup Android Apps ?
- Backup SMS Messages, Wanna know how? Make use of SMS Backup & Restore App
- Backup Contacts, Mail data, Google Data, Wanna know how?, Just sync them with Google Sync.
- Backup Call Logs, Wanna know how? Make use of Call Logs Backup & Restore Android App
- Backupphone settings like Access Points, GPRS Settings, Connectivity Settings. Wanna know how? Note them on a paper or something.
Few More Prerequisites
- You have already installed USB drivers on your computer. Even though if your phone fails to detect the PC, make sure that whether you have enabled USB debugging on your Android phone. The path to enable it varies for different versions of Android operating systems like Jelly Bean, Ice Cream Sandwich, Gingerbread.
- Double check your device model before you get started with the installation. If you install non compatible ROM on your phone, it may brick the operating system. So, make sure that your phone model matches with the model we mention in the article. If your phone’s bootloader is locked, you cannot Root/install Custom ROM’s. So, unlock the bootloader before performing tutorial. Do not attempt this tutorial if the device is locked.
- Make sure the phone’s battery is at least 75% full to ensure that it should not run out of battery while installing/flashing firmware.
- Download all the required files listed in the downloads section and keep them in a folder to be handy for you.
If you have completed all the above steps, you can now continue with installation process which is a bit typical. Make sure that complete every step in an orderly manner.
How To Update T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S2 T989 To Android 4.4.2 Kitkat Via CarbonROM ?
Things To Remember:
Disclaimer: The Custom ROM’s, Firmware, Software, Applications, Mods and any other tools shared/mentioned in this article belongs to their respective developers. Neither our team nor the developers are responsible to any losses that occur to your device while installation. So, you are suggested to continue with the tutorial at your own risk. Think before you act.
Warning: Make sure that you double check the model name/number we mention in the article. Attempting to install the firmware on any other model may brick the OS.Rooting Warning: Rooting voids the manufacturer’s warranty for the device. It may possibly brick the operating software of the device. So, make sure that you continue to the tutorial with your own decision.
Rooting Warning: Rooting voids the manufacturer’s warranty for the device. It may possibly brick the operating software of the device. So, make sure that you continue to the tutorial with your own decision.
To install Custom ROM’s on T-mobile Samsung Galaxy S2 T989, it is to be rooted and Custom Recovery installed. If you are familiar with rooting, get your device rooted. Else consider googling up for the rooting tutorials. After you root Galaxy S2 T989 successfully, get started with the installation process mentioned below.
Step 1: Download the Android 4.4.2 Kitkat Carbon ROM package and Google Apps from the downloads section to your PC.
Step 2: Connect the Galaxy S2 T989 to the PC using USB cable and transfer the Carbon ROM package into the SD card of the phone. Make sure that you copy it to the root folder of SD card.
Step 3: Now enter the recovery mode on the Galaxy S2 by following the below steps:
- Turn off the device and wait until the display goes off.
- Press and hold together Volume Up+Home+Power buttons.
Step 4: Once the phone enters the Recovery mode, you can find a list of installation and data wipe options. Among them choose wipe data/factory reset. You should use power button to choose and volume buttons to navigate in recovery mode.
Step 5: Perform a complete cache wipe on your Samsung Galaxy S2 by choosing wipe cache partition.
Step 6: Its time to enter the advanced options of ClockWorkMod recovery. Select the advanced options and choose wipe dalvik cache.
Step 7: Once you complete all the above steps successfully, you can continue with the installation. Choose +++++Go Back+++++ and select install zip from SD card.
Step 8: Now select choose zip from SD card and using volume buttons for navigation and power button to select, choose the previously copied Android 4.4.2 Kitkat installation package from SD card.
Step 9: Confirm the installation on the next screen and it starts flashing the firmware on T-mobile Galaxy S2.
Step 10: The process of installation takes some time. After installation completes, follow the last three steps to install previously downloaded Google Apps. After completion, select +++++Go Back+++++ and reboot the device by selecting “reboot system now” from the recovery menu. The device takes sometime for the first time reboot.
That’s all! You’ve successfully installed Android 4.4.2 Kitkat firmware on Samsung Galaxy S2. To check whether the Android firmware is updated, go to Settings>>About Phone, there you can find the firmware version as Kitkat 4.4.2.
If you face any problems during installation of Android 4.4.2 Kitkat on T-mobile Samsung Galaxy S2 T989, feel free to drop your words in the comments section. We will be glad to help you.
Source – XDA